Thursday, October 6, 2016

William Walter Kidd to W. A. Kidd letter - 1926

Former Tyler Man 93 Years Old, Coming for a Visit
A few of our older citizens perhaps can recall W. W. Kidd who in the late sixties – and on up to the latter eighties, or early nineties, was a resident of Tyler. He was a carpenter, a famous carpenter. Some of his handiwork still stands. He did the wood-work on Marvin church; he built the H. H. Rowland residence which for many years stood at the end of North Broadway, and was when built accounted the finest residence in East Texas.
W. W. Kidd moved away from Tyler between 35 and 40 years ago. A few days ago W. A. Kidd of our city noted the mention of a W. W. Kidd in a newspaper, the item indicating that the subject resided at Amarillo. Mr. Kidd here addressed an enquiry to the Amarillo Postmaster. The letter was turned over to the W. W. Kidd of that city. The following is a letter received in reply to that enquiry, and The Journal reproduces it, knowing that many of the older resident here will be glad to hear from the former Tyler citizen.
Mr. W. A. Kidd,
Tyler, Texas
My dear Nephew –
Mr. Kenyon, who is our Postmaster and neighbor, handed me your letter, and I am surely glad to hear from you. I have been wanting to write you for a long time, but didn’t know the address of any of you boys. I am still in good health. I will be 93 years old in November.
My daughter and I are thinking of taking a trip in the car thru Southern Texas this fall, as I have a son residing at Austin who is a Presbyterian evangelist; and, if we do take that trip, we will stop by Tyler and spend two or three days with you and other relatives there, as I would like so much to see all of you.
Where are Pat and George and the other brothers and their children? I would be so glad to have you write and tell me about all of them.
Our town is on a big boom on account of the oil fields.
With much love and kind wishes to you and all the relatives, I am
Your Uncle,
W. W. Kidd,
910 Pierce St., Amarillo, June 5.

The Tyler Journal (Tyler, Tex.), Vol. 2, No. 6, Ed. 1 Friday, June 11, 1926

No comments:

Post a Comment